August Journal 2017


05 Aug 2017     First Weekend of August

First of all an apology is in order, sorry. Last weekend I went out fishing, however, work has been busy and I did not have the time to get my head wrapped around the fishing trip. I know you are thinking, what, you actually put thought into these journals, well, believe or not, I try. This may explain my grades in high school.

Anyway, last weekend I took out the kayak as it is much easier to load and unload, we will leave it at that. I armed myself with a mud minnow and ended up catching a couple bass, a few sun fish, and hooked a smallmouth that probably went 4 lbs. I have no pics but he was pulling me around a bit in the yak and when I went to lip the rascal, he released. It was a blast and a well spent couple of hours.

Yesterday, I finally got out on the water in the boat. I launched at Davis, caught shad at the ramp and headed up. I fished my wanna be honey hole, this is a place I get quite a few bites but don’t catch any. As I spent an hour or so there, I did not even get a hit and began to think this is going to be  short trip.

I headed down the lake and tried another spot I usually pull a hybrid (by usually I really mean sometimes). I loaded up a bait, tossed it out, and before I could get the other rod ready, drag was coming off. I grab the rod and the fish broke top water. I was confused as drag starting screaming and thinking, striper don’t do that, I wished I would have gotten a better look. As this drag was going and I was making my way to the trolling motor, the tension stopped, the fish had released. I still don’t know what it was, trout don’t take drag like that.

Anyway, I continued to troll and the planer board rod released, fish on. I began the fight and this one felt like a hybrid. When I got him in the boat, he had only consumed the hook and half of the shad was hanging out. I removed the hook, took a pic, and let the little feller go to be caught again.

Feeling good that the skunk was gone, I continued down the lake, close enough to the bank to use my Ned Rig and not just troll around. Just a few minutes after catching the hybrid, the Mud Minnow gets bit. I set the hook and the fight is on. I use a light saltwater rod for this fishing, the reason is I like the rod. It has a lot of play, but not too much. It’s pretty sensitive for a rod with this much play in it, with a moderate fast action.

I use 8 lbs test line and have to let the fish take drag and this one felt like a hybrid at first, then he came to the surface and I saw the brown. This was a good smallmouth, not as big as the one I missed last weekend, but it would have weighed in a tournment. I took a pic next to the net to see if I could get a better idea of size, that explains the duplicate photos.

Anyway, the smallie was released and I felt like it had been a good day. I decided to head on back to the house, another good couple of hours spent and I needed to do someo mowing.

I hope everyone had a great opening weekend of August, football practice has started, a few fish are biting, fall is really close. Get ready for the fall bite if you aren’t going to be hunting, it’ll be here before you know it. Have a great week and God bless.